What to send in with your kids on Monday for outdoor viewing:
- Eclipse Sunglasses- parents will need to bring their own pair for the eclipse viewing.
Should you prefer indoor viewing for your child, contact your teacher via email. They will watch in the media center. Sack lunches (turkey/cheese) will be available for lunch. This allows our teachers flexibility for our grade-level planned activities that day.
- 2:15 p.m.: Students will line up in classrooms
- 2:25 p.m.: Students will be outside and in classroom sitting spots in the parking lot (spots to be determined). Students will put on their viewing glasses when they reach their class spots.
- Students viewing indoors will be in the media center.
- 2:36: Prime viewing: 97% of the sun will be covered
- 2:45: Students will line up and re-enter the building.
- 3 p.m.: Begin afternoon dismissal inside the building (DISMISSAL PROCEDURES WILL STAY THE SAME — children will not be allowed to leave with parents at that time.) Parents may pick up their children out front as a walker when they are called during dismissal. Parents will have a few minutes to chat outside!
- If we have poor weather we will view the eclipse in classrooms. Principal Dianna Watson will monitor the weather forecast and make the call at 2 p.m.. Dismissal will still be held at 3 p.m..
Safety for Glennwood Students
Keeping our Eagles safe is our top priority. It is unsafe to view the sun for any amount of time. All students will be wearing approved glasses for the duration of the viewing. The glasses are manufactured by American Paper Optics LLC and conform to and meet the Transmission Requirements of ISO 12312-2, Filters for Direct Observation of the Sun.
Should you prefer indoor viewing for your child, contact your teacher via email. They will watch in the media center.
Parking and Afternoon Carpool
After morning carpool, we will close the parking lot. Teachers are parking on side streets to allow us utilize the parking lot for viewing. Buses will be parked in the circle and will move forward after the eclipse viewing. Line up for carpool will begin at approximately 2:55 p.m..